Getting results in Innovation requires managing innovation from a holistic perspective. At The Valen Group, we utilize several critical tools, software and other innovation management solutions. However, what we have found is that leaders may rely too much on innovation management solutions that do not solve an organizational problem or need. Tools are just tools. To understand what are the right solutions requires assessing the organization by asking three questions regarding your innovation efforts:
1. Do we have the right people?
2. Do we have the right process?
3. Do we have the right environment?
We know that the majority of issues in innovation are not solved by handing the same people in the same environment, where innovation efforts have failed, merely the next new innovation management solution or tool. Great innovation comes from people understanding how to collaborate and work within corporate structures or around corporate structures to get results. Thus, we must include an assessment of the people and the environment in the process and tools provided to them.
When assessing what are the right management solutions or tools, consider them in context of what area of innovation are we trying to improve. In many cases, we find that while the issues in these areas can be inter-related by focusing on each of these areas separately, you can determine where the most impact for improvement can be made and then assess which tools are appropriate. In many cases, we have already sourced or developed a management solution, framework, tool or process that can be customized and used for improvement. Many tools readily available off the shelf in the areas of collaboration, project management, video capture/audio transcription and analysis are readily available to teams and there are new software and tools being developed every day.
By focusing efforts on framing the problem and gaining people’s understanding as to what problem we are solving, we also improve the chances of adoption and changing behavior, ultimately getting the results we desire. These three areas will help ensure we are solving the right problem:
What We Do
We provide services for:
- Benchmark Studies of your innovation practices versus best practices of other organizations
- Innovation Strategy approach methodology and processes
- Proven Innovation Assessment solutions and tools for team, process and innovation environmental factors
- Innovation Consulting services on organizational structure and management practices
- Organizational framework and tools to define the structure, decision-making and coordination of global innovation across an organization